Adapted from a recipe by Martha Stewart
7 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups +1T all purpose flour
1 ¼ t ground ginger
1 t cinnamon
¼ ground cloves
¼ t nutmeg
1 T cocoa powder
8 Tunsalted butter
1 T freshly grated ginger
½ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup molasses
1 t baking powder
¼ cup sugar
1. Sift together the flour, the ground spices and cocoa
2. In a bowl dissolve the baking powder in 1½ tsp of hot water.
3. In a mixer beat the butter, grated ginger until fluffy, maybe 4-5 minutes. Add brown sugar, molasses and mix thoroughly
4. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter. Beat in the baking powder mixture, then the remaining flour mixture. Mix in the chocolate pieces turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap and refrigerate until firm - 2 hrs.
5. Preheat oven to 325. Roll dough into 1-½ inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10-12 minutes. Let cool.